Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Responsibilty to our Benefactors


 While tooling around on Facebook this morning I saw an article that caught my eye. I usually read them, form an opinion and then move on never putting my views out there. But this time I couldn't help but sharing the story and then coming here to further put my views out there. I don't like making my opinion "in your face", if you ask I will answer and listen to what you have to say. Keep in mind that these are my opinions. If you don't like them or they don't agree with your opinions that doesn't make me a terrible person, it just makes me different. With that said read on if you would like to read what I have to say.
 There needs to be a complete overhaul of this money given to people who don't use it wisely. I have no problem with my tax money going to people in need as long as there is some responsibility for how it is spent. I didn't make a lot of money before I went back to school but I was responsible with what I made. Additionally I made sure that I had my own health insurance because I do have health issues. At the age of 21 I was working, paying for my own health insurance, paying for my own schooling, and I was able to buy a car, make the payments and pay the insurance on that. I was fortunate enough to attend a school close to home so I could live with my parents. But this was on the condition that I continued to be responsible and go to school, work and pay my own bills. I didn't have all the luxuries that are out there so why should someone who makes no effort to work or better themselves get the luxuries while I do all the work? What is the difference? Why was I able to do these things and others "need" to rely on handouts from others to live? The answer is simply responsibility. I was held responsible to the people who were helping me, my parents. My help was contingent on my responsibility and the choices that I made. I feel the need to reemphasize the fact that I have absolutely no problem with people who get government assistance as long as they are working to improve themselves so that they can provide for themselves in the near future and people who have an actual disability that keeps them from working. Remember in Moses 7:18 (Book of Mormon) "And the Lord called his people Zion, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them."

Snopes article verifying the story of Dr. Starner Jones who had his letter to the editor published in the Mississippi Clarion-Ledger.

No comments: