Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Local WildLife

A few days ago when I was planting my small trees I saw that the large plastic container where my dad keeps the bird and squirrel food was chewed on the corner. I asked my mother about it and she said that it was the squirrels were trying to get to the food. Last night I was up at the computer reading blogs when I heard a noise on the deck. I turned on the light to see if it was the squirrel when to my suprise I saw a raccoon. Yes that's right a raccoon here in the suburbs. I was flabbergasted to say the least. I finally was able to close my mouth as my jaw had dropped. Looking closer I saw that it was a larger adult with 2-3 juveniles, not tiny but not as large as the biggest. I was stunned and then I began look for a camera. Thankfully Laura had left her's on the dining room table and I was able to grab it and start snapping pictures. The first one was terrible as I tried taking it through the glass even though I knew that it would have a terrible glare. I then decided that open the door might scare them away but I wouldn't loose anything. The sound of the door alerted them to my presence. I slowly opened it hoping that they would stay and I would be able to get pictures. Well they did stay and one of the little ones walked along the railing and sniffed around the squirrel feeder. I am not sure if it took anything. The whole time the larger one was making a noise. I thought that if it ran at me that I would be able to close the door. Thankfully that did not happen and a short time later they started to climb back down the stairs. One of them slid down the spindles to the stairs and the other slid down the bannister, that one was obviously a juvenile. I took the pictures and I was able to use a photo editer to clean them up and make them viewable as the originals were very dark even with the flash on. Hopefully they will not come calling again although I think that with the food out there that they will join us again.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Ok what next! Rabbits, squirrles and racoons. I remember when all we had was deer around here. We better not have any bears!