Tuesday, July 10, 2007

1, 2, 3...TREE!!!

I finally planted the three Arrowwood trees that I got on Arbor Day from my work. I planted them in a smaller planter about 2 weeks ago. A few days ago my Dad brought home 2 5 gallon buckets and told me that we would drill holes in them and then plant the trees so that there would be room for them to grow. Last night I drilled the holes and filled the bottom of the buckets with some rocks. Home Depot was closed so I went online and look for some soil that would be the best for growing them. I found soil that was formulated for trees and shrubs. Today I went and picked it up and started planting the trees. It was great getting them into larger containers. I learned that the root ball at the base of the tree should not be covered or when the tree gets bigger it will strangle it's self and die, I hope that I didn't cover it. The trees, which are more like sticks with some leaves, are really small and so it was kind of hard to see if I put the root ball under the soil. I am hoping that they will thrive as they are very pretty when they are fully grown.I decided that they needed names, or atleast a way to readily identify them so I spray painted numbers on the two buckets. (Although I think that I really just wanted to spray paint something.) So now they have large red numbers on the side of the buckets and I have three trees that have lots of room to spread out and grow.



1 comment:

The Lees said...

They look cool, how long will it take for them to grown and bloom?